- 1965Opened on October 31st and held its first race on the same day. The American 500. Drivers in attendance include Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty, Buddy Baker and David Pearson. At an average speed of 101.9mph, Curtis Turner took home the checkered flag along with the $13,090.00 purse.
- 1967Richard Petty won the first of his 11 checkered flags at The Rock. This year he went on to win a total of 27 races including 10 in a row.
- 1969Track was reconfigured into a high banked D-shaped oval. The first race on it was won by David Pearson.
- 1983Richard Petty won the last of 11 checkered flags at Rockingham Speedway.
- 1986Raise Hell and Praise Dale! Earnhardt wins his first of 3 races here at Rockingham Speedway.
- Fast forward through the glory days of racing….
- 2004The Subway 400 will be the last NASCAR race held here.To many race fans this race will go down in history for having the closest finish. Matt Kenseth held off rookie Kasey Kahne to take the checkered flag by 0.010 seconds as Carl Long flips wildly down the backstretch.
- Over the next 14 years, mother nature, father time and scrap metal bandits will do its worst all over Rockingham Speedway until……
- 2018Rockingham Properties LLC purchases Rockingham Speedway and renames it Rockingham Speedway & Entertainment Complex.Creating a mecca for entertainment and excitement alike.
But the legend continues. Our history is illustrious and celebrated but our future has been unwritten…until now. Welcome to Rockingham Speedway & Entertainment Complex. Our mission is to bring back everything you love about this track and so much more. We currently host racing, thrill shows, music festivals and concerts, scheduled tours, paintball games, camping, food truck rodeos, autocross events and high performance driving experiences. Did we mention racing? We host everything from Big Rig Racing Series to Kart Series and everything in between.